Home » MA Legal Resources » MA Criminal Legal Process » Police Arrest & Criminal Complaint

Police Arrest & Criminal Complaint

If you are arrested for a crime, it is likely that the police arrested you without a warrant.  Police can arrest you if they believe you committed a felony or a misdemeanor.   If you are questioned or arrested by police it is important that you don’t talk to them without a lawyer.  You have a right to remain silent and it is important that you exercise that right.  It is also important that you cooperate with police.  If you choose not to cooperate, you may find yourself being charged with more crimes. 

Usually when you are detained, the police will apply for a criminal complaint.  The issuance of the criminal complaint is enough to satisfy the probable cause requirement.  The police usually files an application for a criminal complaint with the clerk’s office. Most police applications for a criminal complaint are allowed by the clerk.  Aside from the police, the district attorney may also file an application for a criminal complaint.  If you are still in custody, you will then be brought to appear before the judge.

Learn more: Bench warrants can lead to your arrests

Call Attorney Jason Chan to talk about your case today at 508-808-8902.

Contact Attorney Jason Chan

Attorney Jason Chan

267 North Beacon Street, Suite 3
Boston MA 01235

Phone: 781-343-1DUI (781-343-1384)
Fax: 617-226-7986

Contact Attorney Jason Chan

    Your Name (required)

    Your Email (required)


    Your Message

    To use CAPTCHA, you need Really Simple CAPTCHA plugin installed.

    Enter the code above